Thursday, July 28, 2011

10 year reunion



It is a topic that has come up at least once per coffee/dinner/breakfast Fearsome Foursome get together we have had the last 6 months. Our upcoming 10 year reunion. Should we go? Should we not go? Who do you think will go? Will it be fun? Should we care?

It is something that makes me both incredibly nervous and incredibly excited. Remember, I am shy and while I may seem confident - I am actually quite terrified at how people perceive me.

First off let's get somethings straight. I was not popular in high school - no way. The popular girls were edgy, hot, dated older guys, got asked to every dance and were 3 for 3 on the homecoming queen ballot. I most def was not edgy or hot. I didn't date older guys, was not asked to every dance and was only on the homecoming ballot my sophomore year. That's all.

With all that said, I did love high school. While I was not popular, I think there were a few people that knew who I was and I feel for the most part I was respected. It helped that I dated the football running back for 3 years, got involved in leadership, was ASB secretary my senior year, had a sis who was a local celebrity, and had friends like Kristi V., Lauren, JoAnna and Erin who were all something else. I didn't drink, do drugs and for the most part, I stayed out of trouble (minus the time Erin and I took my car - I was 15 - to a track meet and got caught by my mom who happened to drive by the school as I was about to pull onto Sullivan or the time a friend's mom happened to catch me take a lit, used cigarette off the sidewalk and take a puff - yeah she called my mom immediately....anyyywayyy...).

There were a lot of people I became friends with in high school or even junior high that, unfortunately, I don't keep in touch with anymore. Amazing friends like Christine, Casey, Alisha...

While we can all see what each other is up to on Facebook, it is not the same. All three of those ladies and I have shared secrets, laughs, crazy 'remember that one time' moments and good cries.

That is the reason I want to go.

Not because I have something to prove (I am still not hot BTW and just to make sure expectations are set - I am about 20 lbs heaver than I was in high school) or because I want to show off my husband - even though he is super hot - or tell everyone about my AMAZING life...cause lets face it, it is not that amazing. I haven't changed the world. I don't have a masters or PHD. I most certainly don't have a new car, designer shoes, or a high paying job. Right now I don't EVEN HAVE A HOUSE!

I am just a normal girl who is a wife and a new mom. I have a good job that helps relieve the pressure my husband feels to provide for our home. I have life long friends who I would die for and I often think of the ones I miss from back in the days where cares were a little bit lighter.

Friday is going to be a great time - it will be as fun as we make it right?! Between now and then, I am checking off my to-dos - cause to be dead honest, I don't want to show up looking like the chow puppy I referred to here or look like an absolute bum.

SOOOOOO...to celebrate tomorrow's event here are 10 tips for the 10 year reunion by a guy by the name of Tyler Stanton. I have no idea who he is - came across his blog stalking. Some of them made me laugh.

1. Study up on Facebook
This can be a great tool to remember names and faces, but be sure to use it wisely. It might appear a tad stalkerish if you start a conversation out with a reference to the “Which Lord of the Rings Character Are You?” quiz that they took last February. There’s really nowhere for the conversation to go after this.

2. Save up
We had to take out a second mortgage in order to cover our admission cost. I’m still working on the math, but I think it came out to about $35 per drink and $60 per miniature barbecue sandwich.

3. Use spouse wisely
If your planners weren’t wise enough to provide name tags, use your spouse to find out the names you should already know. Amy and I have the system down to perfection:

Me: [Double-tap the back of Amy's elbow to initiate fool-proof name investigation system]
Amy: Hi, I’m Amy.
Guy: Hi, I’m Neil.
Me: Oh, I’m sorry Neil. That was so rude of me. I thought you, Neil, and Amy had already met. How are things in Neil‘s world…Neil?

4. Have phone handy
Any time an awkward silence arises, whip out your phone and pretend you have a call. Politely whisper that this is your “new babysitter” as you roll your eyes and apologetically leave the conversation.

5. Don’t talk about old times
Never use the word “remember” to start a sentence. The last thing you want is to be dubbed The Nostalgic Guy who keeps bringing up that time you did a group project together sophomore year.

6. Do talk about old times
OK, when Doug gets into his 19th consecutive minute of talking about politics, feel free to interject with your favorite thing about that group project sophomore year – even if he wasn’t part of the group.

7. Come with a comfort zone
Believe it or not, the same cliques exist ten years later. Make sure to bring your clique with you as a comfort zone. Establish a home base early on (near the back), and periodically branch off into the sea of awkwardness, knowing that there is a mother ship that awaits your return.

8. Chew gum
Guess who people want to talk to less than Nostalgic Guy? You guessed it – Halitosis Guy. Don’t hesitate to display some gum pride and share the love.

9. Engage in some friendly competition
Hold a competition amongst your clique members to see how many different professions you can claim to have throughout the evening. It’s amazing how trusting people are. Apparently I can pass for a librarian, a professional scuba diver, a dentist, and a nun. I’m even scheduled to do a home inspection next Thursday.

10. Know when to stay home
100% of all conversations begin the same way – “What are you up to these days?” If you’re nearing thirty and you still don’t have a job, it might be best to stay home and play Madden ’09. After all, you know you’d rather be doing that anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment