Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Dear Nick

Last Sunday as we were driving up the grade, on our way home from a difficult weekend, I grabbed your hand. You let me. As long as I wanted. The only time I let go was to wipe my tears. 

Watching your dad love his wife - stroke her hair, administer her medication, reassure her things will be alright, tell her she's beautiful, sit by her side, sleep on the floor next to her bed, pick out her coffin and then do it all over again - will be a beautiful memory for me. One that will remind me to be patient, kind, gentle and encouraging. One that will remind me that while I sure love you a lot, I can always love you better.

We are guaranteed that life is never certain so while we still get to live out our love story I am no longer going to take one minute for granted. 

I'm writing this note to let you know that if years down the road, you are ever sick, I'll be your Bob. I will stroke your hair, administer your medication, and reassure you things will be okay. And I know you would do the same for me. That is our love. 

Happy Valentine's Day to my most favorite. 

1 comment:

  1. Bawling my eyes out! So beautiful , and heartbreaking! Praying for you guys! Xo

    ReplyDelete