Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Happy Birthday, Mom!


Today my mama is another year older wiser, more beautiful, more confident, more bold. 
Two years ago I had to write an essay to accompany my application for a spot in a prestigious leadership seminar. While I was ultimately accepted into the 2010 class what I was most proud of was my essay. 
So in an effort to honor my mother on the day of her birth, allow me to share with you part of the essay. I had to answer this question: who has been influential in your life?

My mom Yolanda has the most beautiful green eyes I have ever seen. See, typically you would think it was ordinary but my mom is far from ordinary.
Her parents are Hispanic in decent so my mom has very dark hair and very tan skin. Now – getting the whole picture I hope you can imagine just how remarkable her green eyes are. If faced with the task of picking out my mom in a lineup of eyes – I know I could pick her out in less than 20 seconds. I have always seen those eyes.
I would classify us as best friends and it started when I was young. The thing I am most thankful for is that she was always first my mom. It wasn't until I was in high school that she became my best friend. By then I knew what was expected of me, I knew my boundaries and I had a foundation – something she had planned for me before I was ever created.
The reason she has been so influential in my life is because she was a mother to me in a way I needed. She taught me how to celebrate others, how to be thankful always, how to appreciate those around me, how to be kind, how to ask ONE MILLION questions... It was after all of this that she then grew into my dearest friend. No doubt I am a unique creature and she was able to understand my most inner workings and raise me to be a self-respecting, women of God who cherishes deep friendships, loves others (sometimes to a fault) and is loyal to the core.
So to me, those green eyes represent a mom who was there, who was present and who so loved a daughter who wasn't the star athlete or the beauty queen - although I sure tried - but who was uniquely Ashley.

If God blesses me with a daughter I can only hope to be the type of mother my mom was to me to her.



Happy Birthday, Mom. 
You are truly one of my all time favorite people ever. A killer mimi, a wonderful support and a really great friend. Thank for you always being there and for being someone I know I can always count on. 
Most important - thank you for setting the bar quite high in the mom department. I have BIG shoes to fill.
I love you.

1 comment:

  1. I love your Mom!!! She is one of the most incredible ladies I know and it's an honor to know her :)

    Happiest of birthdays to Yolanda!!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete