Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mama R and her babes

The other month Nick and I noticed a Robin's nest slowly appearing on top of the electric box in the back yard. 

It kept getting bigger and bigger to where one day it was all done and a beautiful red chested Robin sat atop. 

Liam's rowdy Frisbee play every evening with dad usually chases the poor Robin away so I figured it was the perfect opportunity to grab a chair and see if anything was actually in there. 

Low and behold. 4 beautiful blue Robin eggs.  


That was a week ago. 

Blog surfing and Wikipedia told me to expect a hatching in 10-14 days. Knowing my Robin mama had already laid her eggs by the time we snapped this pic, I figured I would watch my mama bird closely and that her due date was days away. 

Honestly, you should just call me Dr. Salzwedel: Robin nest/egg/hatch expert because my research proved me right on (I even know that it takes 180 trips to build a nest and when the babes hatch, 35 trips a day to feed their growing appetite).

Yesterday mama R was not her usual self. Acting particular and sticking VERY close to home. 

Today??

Mama was no where to be seen all afternoon! Well, now I know she was off catching worms because up popped two yellow beaks!!!

Thrilled - screaming OMG to Cruz, who could have cared less, I grabbed a chair and snapped these pics. My new baby Robins!

4 perfectly healthy newborn baby Robins!




Oh how I love them so. 

Both mom and dad have been seen taking turns feeding the babes worms and other bugs so I know they are being well taken care of.  I read they like tomatoes so I left some in the grass below the nest just in case finding food seemed too much of a chore for my new Robin mom. 

It's said that 14 days from now is when they are expected to leave the nest so in the meantime I will watch over my Robin family and protect them from any wild blue jay or killer hawk that may come to cause harm.

Oh and take more pictures.

And update Nick 5 times a day about their progress.

Seriously though. Pretty cool, huh? 

No comments:

Post a Comment