Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cruz's 23 Words!

Our son says 23 WORDS!!!!!!

I knew we would get there - I really did - but I didn't all at the same time. 

Each time he says a new word I want to cry. All I can kinda compare it to is watching HBK's title match against Bret The Hitman Hart when he zip lined down from the ceiling at Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim, CA in 1996. That moment, at the end of the match, when you know his finishing move - sweet chin music - is right around the corner? Yeah...that was a moment I will never forget. A moment when I saw my childhood hero win the WWF championship belt.

So while the words: extreme pride, desperate anticipation, and elation are the cliche words my small brain can come up with to describe this huge accomplishment, it is so much more. 

Our new speech therapist is outstanding. In the four sessions we have had with her and her intern, Cruz has said 13 new words! It has totally made me a believer in therapy and not just for Cruz. Therapy has taught me how to intentionally play with Cruz - something I haven't ever learned before. Learning age appropriate targets, educational toys to invest in and simply how to talk to Cruz has been invaluable in getting him to where he is at. Heck, I am tempted to quit my job as a stay at home mom to teach other moms cause where else are you supposed to learn this stuff?!

God is ALWAYS faithful, ALWAYS loving, ALWAYS sovereign even in the midst of struggle - just another chapter in my book of life where He has proven His goodness. And you know what...even if Cruz could only say 1 word I would say the same thing. He is never surprised by events and He is most definitely not unsure how He is going to take care of His children. Wow. What comfort. IN ALL things God gets the glory. 

Congratulations to you, Cruz, on your 23 words!

mama, papa, mimi, ball, bubbles, bianca, bye bye, cracker, dada, out, banana, go, quack quack, bug, cheese, flower, butterfly, apple, thank you, hot dog, more, hello, oh no

1 comment:

  1. SOOOOOOO PROUD of you Cruz! Even more proud of your mama (cause I always knew you could and would) for having mountain moving faith in Jesus and her precious, smart son!!!!
    Never forget how many cheerleaders you have in your corner!!!

    Xoxox
    Auntie Em
    Ps tell your mom that needs to be word 24! :)

    ReplyDelete