Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Priority

It took us 5 weeks after Cruz was born to brave going to church. I remember feeling overwhelmed the entire time - itching to get back to my safe place...home. In light of that truthful revelation, imagine my surprise when I answered a quick "yes" when Nick asked me if I felt up to going to Church Sunday. Pepper had not celebrated her 2 week birthday and Cruz - well that poor guy still cries when we drive into the parking lot knowing his fate lies in Sunday school. My little sensitive soul is very much attached to mom and dad.

But we went and we made it.

Now, I don't believe in coincidence. I believe in Angels. I believe in God's perfect will and His timing. I believe in Heavenly callings. Purpose. I believe things happen - people happen - because they were meant to happen. And in this case I think my "yes" came so quickly because we were meant to be there.

Nathan started a new sermon series called, Before and After.
What happens before you say "I do". -Sunday's sermon.
What happens before you say "I quit".
What happens after you say "I quit".

It was incredible.

Okay, Nick and I are totally married (approaching year 7..woahhhhh) so you wouldn't think it would be that applicable but there were absolute take aways that I know will stick with me. Nathan covered a few biblical principles - how we as believers are supposed to handle dating and the three biggest mistakes dating/engaged couples make that could derail marriage.

There is no doubt Nick and I made some mistakes. We didn't do everything by the playbook and that is why I am so thankful for God's forgiveness and grace but the biggest reminder came when Nathan simply stated - God is the creator of marriage. Don't you think he knows best? Don't you think doing it His way is the best way?

What is His way?

Ashley - #1 having a solid foundation rooted in faith and a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Nick - #1 having a solid foundation rooted in faith and a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

This of course coming before each other.

I can't expect Nick to fulfill me. Because he won't. And vise versa. I CAN, however, expect that from God - how cool! He alone can help me be BETTER for Nick. And I want that. To be better.

If Nick and I can be faithful in always pursuing #1 - coming back to doing it (marriage) God's way - I know we will be unshakable.

Church ended with some incredible worship. Sitting beside my husband, holding our squealing baby daughter we sang Chris Tomlin's Whom Shall I Fear.

Ummmmmmm...amazing.

You hear me when I call
You are my morning song
Through darkness fills the night
It cannot hide the light

Whom shall I fear?

You crush the enemy
Underneath my feet
You are my Sword and Shield
Though trouble lingers still

Whom shall I fear?

I know Who goes before me
I know Who stands beside me
The God of angel armies
Is always on my side
The One who reigns forever
He is a friend of mine
The God of angel armies 
Is always by my side
...

Seriously?!????!!!!! 
Obsessed.

It wrapped up an incredible morning - one in which was certainly no coincidence. 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for summarizing this for me. I have been stewing about it - what to say, how to say it, etc - and you wrote exactly what I was thinking. I LOOOOVE this new sermon series. Marriage is a topic that Paul & I crave to talk about with couples and to see broken ones healed and good ones - even better!! God is the ultimate restorer and with Him as the center of a relationship, He can do anything. Which is why I love the book Beyond Ordinary SO much. He took a completely broken, and what the world would say, unsalvageable relationship and repaired it and brought them to a place of reconciliation and healing and is now using it for His glory! The example of true forgiveness and grace is why I am SO attracted to this book and it's ONLY because of Christ in her life that she could forgive like she did.
    Ok, I'll end my soap box. ;)
    Love this post Ash. Thanks for pounding the keys to share about it. Praying for you and your ADORABLE little family through this transition and I'm SO proud of you for sticking to your convictions and getting yourself to church. You were blessed by it and that's how God works. So awesome!!
    I need to meet little Miss Pepper, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete