Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Our first dinner date

Nick is out of town this week for work. 

Initially, I dreaded it. I always look forward to 5:30 - the moment Nick comes home to save the day. He takes care of the dogs, plays with Cruz so I can finish our dinner or helps me finish my chores. After we have eaten, he usually throws Cruz in the bath and helps me get him ready for bed. 

We end the night all together. Mostly reading books. Sometimes wrestling. It's heaven. 

Stay at home moms, you know what I am referring to, the breath of fresh air after a long day. 

Sunday night right before drifting off to sleep I prayed. Prayed for my attitude - to quit keeping score. Prayed for the week - that it would go by quick and painless. Prayed for Nick and Cruz...

Having thought by now I would be WAY over the week, I am actually thanking Jesus because of how amazing it has been. Not only has it gone by totally quick but Cruz and I have filled our schedule and most importantly seriously enjoyed our time together. 

I know that every passing moment is time I won't ever get back so instead of being selfish and wishing time by so badly God, through prayer, has helped me see the bigger picture. I have a very short window of time left before we introduce a sweet baby girl into our family so now is the time to focus very intentionally on Cruz. To remember how his 19 month old body feels in my arms, to listen and respond to his sweet baby babble, to praise him for stacking 8 cups or placing the dog piece into the right slot of a puzzle. To watch him   grab Liam's tail, go down the slide all by himself and smile at Dora with utter delight. To remember him loving his dad and feeling his chubby hands grab hold of my neck each morning as I get him out of his crib for the best hug in the history of hugs. 

Tonight - another mental memory, sealed away for all time. We went on our first dinner date together! I actually showered, got dressed and put on some makeup for my date. Once seated, we chatted about the kids menu, how to screw on a cap (to his apple juice), and how biting your cousin is unacceptable. He shared some of his pizza with me and even asked very nicely for dessert. 

It was the best! Just he and I, uninterrupted, for 45 whole minutes. 


Tonight, as I say my prayers, I will be thanking God for being so faithful. For the best blessing ever and for providing me with a joyful heart this week and the opportunity to take my first born on a date. 

Now, I kinda don't want the week to end...


1 comment:

  1. That is so stinking precious!

    I am constantly amazed by your ever growing, ever humble, ever loving heart. You are such a good mom. Such a good wife. Such a good sister. Actually not good, quite incredible!

    Thanks for this nugget of wisdom and for teaching me daily what it looks like to refine myself, and reach to the depths of the earth for ALL that God has for me and my family.

    So proud to be your sister.

    ReplyDelete