Thursday, January 26, 2012

Drive through difference

I listen to positive life radio pretty much all day. Even at the office and back at home in the afternoons. 
The only time I am not listening to PLR is during my drive into work. That is when I get my entertainment news fix via Dave Ken and Molly (ZZU).

I could tell you many cheesy stories about how a caller has brought me to tears by sharing his or her faith or about how they played the EXACT right song at a time I really needed it or how they have provided me many opportunities to grow closer to God through their music....but I won't.

What I am going to tell you about today is the Drive Through Difference and how it totally inspired me. 

The DTD is something they promote a few times a year - it is an opportunity to share the love of Jesus and bless a total stranger by the simple act of giving. The idea is to pay for the person behind you in a drive through. 

Could be a cup of coffee at Starbucks, an ice-cream treat, a quick lunch, or dinner. 

I knew it was going to be happening today and tomorrow but as it frequently does, life got away from me. Thursday was here and almost gone and I had totally forgotten about it. 
That is until I arrived at Em's to pick up Cruz for his doctor's apt. 

She started telling me how she was crying this morning over breakfast due to an older man's emotional testimonial about how someone had paid for his coffee this morning. He goes on to share a story about how he and his wife were fighting and how his morning started out with screaming and yelling. Receiving this simple gift, he said, changed the course of his day and gave him hope. 

Emily then proceeds to whip out a card - intended for a lucky stranger at Starbucks- and begins to write the most amazing message about how she only hopes the person receiving the card can know Jesus's love. 

It was all I needed. 

I yelled at her to get me a card and away I wrote. 


Happy Drive Through Difference. Jesus has changed my life...I hope you have or will be able to experience his incredible love- Praying for YOU.

I had the distinct pleasure of spending $13.84 to pay for the bold red Ford Edge behind me in line at Wendys today. 

Me: And I would also like to pay for the car behind me.
Wendys (sweet young girl):  You would? Really? That's so nice of you. Why? Do you know them?
Me: I would. No, I don't know them. It is the Drive Though Difference today. Oh and when they come to the window, can you give them this card?
Wendys: Sure. It's going to be $13.84. Would you still like to pay for their lunch?
Me: Yes I would. And can you please remember the card?
Wendys: Yes. Have a great day. 

When I received my half salad I didn't speed away. I slowly pulled away so I could watch the older lady grab a 20 from her purse, smile as if it were Christmas morning and then stuff it back in her wallet. 

The only thing I can say is joy. I haven't felt that much joy in a long time. 

Even better was knowing that I might have had a hand in the two ladies eternal joy. 

Thanks to my dear sissy (and the AMAZING book she is reading and quotes to me every five seconds) I realized that giving just to give means nothing other than a free whatever for my new friends. 
Giving with the intent to share Christ...now that is real love. 

Eternal joy means a life spent in heaven. How can we not want to share that?

Thank you EMILY LOVE! Fist pump sista!!

God has called us to be radicle. Live a life different than this world. One way we can do that is through radicle, INTENTIONAL generosity which in turn will allow us freedom from the love of money and JOY because we have shared crazy abundant love. 
Love that will allow you to relish in the presence of our Creator.... For ALL TIME...
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? 

I challenge you to take part in the DTD tomorrow. 

I promise you that YOU will be the one changed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment