Thursday, October 13, 2011

The dream table

I don't even know how to start this post.

I am obsessed.

I know I say that a lot but that (to me) is the perfect phrase for the excitement, passion,  and/or fire I feel for something I love. 

It could be a picture of a wedding dress my dear friend Kelly sent me this morning in preparation for wedding dress shopping on Saturday. 
It could be a new manicure color inspired by Kim Kardashian on Kim's Fairy Tale Wedding.
It could be my baby girl name - which I am not telling anyone because it is out there and you will probably hate it but I AM OBSESSEDDDDDDDDDD.
It could be an opinion piece about GOP 2012 presidential candidates on CNN...or Obama's low approval rating.
It could be a picture of the most fabulous wallpaper or kitchen or bathroom or master bedroom known to man on Pinterest.
It could be an $80 dollar K-Dash poncho (which is sold out. boooo.) or $60 dollar K-Dash leggings on QVC.
It could be Bianca.
It could be Meaningful Beauty.
It could be baby gap's fall line.
It could be a leopard fedora at Buckle (sitting in my layaway pile).
It could be Cruz's million dollar smile or my husband chilling on the couch sporting a scruffy beard and his glasses...I AM OBSESSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The I am obsessed for today comes from the most talented, quite beautiful Katie Mahoney Blackburn. I am very honored to call her my friend. 

I met Katie through Emily. She went to Arizona State with my sis and they met through FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes). 

Katie is an amazing example of how to be a good friend and how to live out your Christian faith by loving God and loving others. She is so fun - up for the in-your-face questions, adventures and conversations the  Westerberg sisters have to offer. Her encouragement is a cool drink of water and her enthusiasm for her husband and life is infectious.

Katie and her best friend Kristin write a blog called, There's Always Monday

"Our hope is that through writing and sharing our thoughts, experiences and life lessons, we can encourage someone's heart, provide a laugh every now and then, and be honest enough with our messy lives to assure another person out there that you are really not alone."

I am OBSESSED already and I haven't even told you the real I am obsessed for today. Be honest enough with our messy lives????? Love it. 

Well, as you all know, I have been given a wonderful gift by a group of women. The gift is a women's study that meets twice a month. You can read about it here. During the group as we were discussing format and expectations, Heather, threw out a challenge. 

Come up with a name...a name we can call ourselves and a name for our t-shirts. We may have shirts made. Seriously. 

Hard to do. Was NOT coming to me....

Enter in There's Always Monday. Katie wrote a blog post titled, The Dream Table

"Here are the rules for sitting at the dream table: You have to be 100% honest.  Whether we agree or disagree with each other, we have to say what we are really thinking no matter how much we know the other person won’t want to hear it, or else we won’t be growing—and therefore never really living.  You have to be 100% vulnerable.  If you aren’t willing to share the insecurities, the mistakes, or the depths of who you are and what you have been through with the people sitting across from you, the dream table is probably not going to be your thing. And you have to be 100% there.  You have to fully guard that time at the dream table as sacred time, willing to learn, willing to put out of your mind the agenda for the rest of your day, willing to let some serious holy humbling happen to you."

OMG, I immediately thought of the 5 of us sitting in Keri's living room. I want this. Not only for our group but every day because it is TRUTH. How desperately I want the dream table so I can be a better wife, mom, friend, and daughter. 

This last part of Katie's post went and threw my obsession off the GRAND CANYON...

"A few years from now, we might look back at our time at the dream table and remember that it was the place so many ideas were born and encouraged, so many topics covered, so many tears cried, and so many prayers offered.  And what could be better than that?  If you can find a table and a few gals to pull up a chair and together put your messy lives out there, you’ll be better for it.  We have a mighty mission in front of us: doing our part to let God’s kingdom come on earth.  And we all have a part.  Learning how to live this out, in word and in action, just might start at your dream table." 

Do you have a dream table? Better yet, do you have the accountability, support and fierce love, to sit with you around the dream table?

Katie, this is amazing!!!! (fist pump :))

I want you to know how much I love you and how incredible I think you are. 

What do you think gorge ladies of every other Tuesday...the dream table??

2 comments:

  1. I love a lot of things about you ash but one of them is the fact that you have this amazing way to get everyone around you to dream and love and feel deeply and sincerely! You are a gem of a person, love you, thanks for your friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OBSESSED!! :) love love LOVE the name and what it stand for. We share the same vision for this group, our dream table. So now all that's left is a t-shirt design! You are wonderful and bring a smile to my face daily!

    ReplyDelete