Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The importance of an after work smile

I love my tall-big-freight train-motivating-positive-role model-encouraging-helpful-generous-hard working-loving-teddy of a daddy.

He is the best guy. A great husband, a wonderful father and an even more FUN papa. 


Growing up he worked hard for over 20 years at a job he hated because 1. he wanted to be home every night by 5 to spend time with us. 2. he wanted to have the flexibility to attend our games, coach our teams and be THERE. 3. he wanted to provide us with a comfortable life.

I am proud of my dad for a lot of things but the number one thing I am most proud of is his decision to take a HUGE risk and start his own business. 

I know he may not realize it but the example he set for my sister and I in 2005 when he started Westerberg & Associates most definitely altered our life path. I just hope that I can turn around and make him as proud as he has made me. 

Anyway, yesterday, my dad emailed me a an article (he likes to email me about politics, real estate, food..lots of fun things).
It is called, The Importance of an After-Work Smile. 

OMG!

Time out: I have a lot of different beliefs that I would seriously take a bullet for (GOP, GOP, GOP :) kidding. not really). I am that passionate (which I totally get from my dad BTW). BUT this one in particular - a father's role in a child's life - is one that I get fired up about. 

I know I have talked about the TV show Intervention before but I am obsessed. It is really sick. 
My diagnostic on the 20 plus episodes I have seen: abuse (sexual/physical), neglect, trauma = drug use. The number one reason these people become drug addicts - MY DAD hates me, MY DAD wasn't around, My DAD isn't proud of me. 
I am not kidding. 

Dads, if you could understand one thing, understand this - you have the most PROFOUND impact on the life of your child/children. I am begging you to be present. I am begging you to tell your child/children how proud of them you are. I am begging you to care.

To my dad: 
Thank you for always being present in my life. 
I know you love me.
I trust you.
Oh and thank you for passing your freight train gene to me. 
I hope I make you proud.

Time in: Read this. Maybe you can inspire a dad today?

1 comment:

  1. I love dad so much! What I really love about your blog is you didn't exaggerate one bit! He is every bit amazing as you described! Thank you for the reminder (although I rarely forget) of just how LUCKY, BLESSED, and FORTUNATE we are!

    LOVE YOU DAD!!!!!!
    Em

    ReplyDelete