Monday, November 21, 2011

Big Bad Ear Infections

Friday.
It was the first big snow and I had a derm. apt. 
Emily sent me a text at 6:45am and asked me to play hookie from work. I agreed.

These are the mornings I wish I didn't have to work at all. Do not get me wrong, I love what I do and am very grateful to have a position that allows me to stay in my field yet allows me afternoons with Cruz. 

Cruz woke up at 5am with a cry that very shortly turned into a sobbing scream. You moms know, the can't-breathe-cry/scream? After changing his diaper and gathering his most precious binkie and orange star blankie, I brought him into bed with us - which NEVER happens BTW - to cuddle and console our sad sad babe. He was able to calm down and fell back asleep. 

He slept until 8. 

Thinking back I knew something was off. Cruz is usually a very happy baby - only crying when hungry or tired. He was taking incredibly short naps, waking 3-5 times a night and was very fussy all day long - refusing to play. He also wasn't eating as well as he usually does. 

Friday afternoon was no exception. Short nap, lots and LOTS of runny nose, fuss all day and zero desire to play. He was most happy with me.



Look at those rosy cheeks after his short afternoon nap. Should have known.


He is still so cute...

Later than evening, after a dinner - one in which he didn't enjoy like he usually does - Nick and I start his nightly routine. Play, Bath, Bottle, Bed.

It was right after his bath, I notice Cruz tugging slightly on his right ear. Okay. Slap me right across the face why don't ya.

I call the urgent care and off we go. 

Yep. Horrible right ear infection. In fact they said his right ear was bulging...why don't you rub my nose in it. 

Armed with a prescription for 5 day antibiotics and a new Tylenol & ibuprofen schedule, off we went to nurse our sick babe back to health.

Motherhood. I have never felt so guilty in my life. The one human person I am supposed to protect and I blew it. If only I had...If only I called...If only...maybe it wouldn't have been so bad. 

Saturday morning was better. He slept in, had a great breakfast and laid down for his morning nap. A 2 1/2 hour morning nap. 

Considering things were looking up - I left with the Fearsome Foursome to Moses Lake to cheer on Amy Clark, Erin's sister at the Mrs. Washington pageant. Something I had been looking forward to all week.



We had the best time. Amy (Mrs. Spokane County) did amazing. She was absolutely stunning and ended the night with a 3rd place finish. The title and crown of Mrs. Washington 2012 went to the beautiful Jessica Riggs. 

L to R: Mrs. Spokane, 3RU, Mrs. Seattle, 1RU, Mrs. Washington 2012, Mrs. Spokane County, 2RU, Mrs. Walla Walla Valley 4RU and Mrs. Island County 5RU. 

Before I say one more thing - this pageant inspired me in two ways. Gave me the pageant bug...again...and a swift kick in the buns. I need to get back into shape. Period. Well, especially if I want to be the next Mrs. Liberty Lake.
But seriously, I already have my platform so when I am done having my babies, watch out Mrs. contestant. I am coming for the crown.

ANYWAY.

It was at dinner that evening when I got a call. 

Cruz had a 103.3 temp and seemed to spiral downhill fast. Nick was taking him back to the urgent care with my mom to find out what was going on. Scary to hear when you are two hours away. 

I have never finished my meal as fast as I did that night.

Turns out what was a right ear infection turned into a double ear infection within 24 hours. 

I am so proud and very thankful for my husband. I do trust him implicitly and know if I am not around as I wasn't on Saturday evening he is the best person to take care of our baby. 

Nick got him the shot he needed, headed next door to the pharmacy to buy his meds and rocked our over-tired, over-sick sad sad babe to sleep.


Cruz ended up sleeping until 8am and had a WAY better Sunday - we played and cuddled all day! He even got a new haircut. Such a big, handsome boy.




I mean, seriously, MMA fighter?? Right?????!?!?!

Next time I will be listening to my mommy gut. When something is not right it is because SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT.

How thankful I am for my husband and my mom (who helped who always helps whenever we need anything) who will do anything to make Cruz feel even 1 % better and for a healthy baby who is finally back to his ever darling, very happy self.

No comments:

Post a Comment