Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Valley Thanksgiving + Table Of My Dreams

We were in the good ol' Lewiston/Clarkston/Asotin valley celebrating Thanksgiving with Nick's family over the weekend. 

It is always a good time in the valley. 

I get excited for a few things:

One - spending time with people we don't get to see often enough. 
Two - getting to have amazing food creations by Cathy Sokoloski (Nick's gifted cook of a mother). This year she made the most OUTSTANDING green bean casserole. I mean usually I stay far away from this staple but I ate and ate and ate...and ate more the next two days straight. Amazing. Cruz loved it too. Shoveling green beans down his sweet throat.
Three - eating two Thanksgiving meals - kinda like having two Christmases only its food, so its way better. The only bad thing is that both Nick's mom and Nick's dad have Thanksgiving on the same day. Last year they were two hours apart...yeah, not good. I almost barfed all over Bob's living room (he was second). AND you can't be rude. You have to eat as much at the second place as you did at the first place. Torture.
Four - attending the annual Festival of Trees Tea with all of the Salzwedel/Sokoloski women the day after Thanksgiving. 
Five - the possibility of getting to have the best pizza I have EVER had. EVER (Fazzari's). 
Six - Unexpected drama - mostly sibling drama. Nick and his 2 sisters know how to make it interesting! As uncomfortable as drama makes me, I also can't get enough. I told Nick that I couldn't wait for his Opa to say something inappropriate at Thanksgiving dinner. Even if it is directed at me - which let me tell you he has said. Before Cruz, every time he saw me, he would either tell me how skinny I had gotten or how chubby I had gotten based on the last visit. Made me re-think how many oreos I would have nightly.
Seven - NOT Black Friday-ing it up.I am sorry but my experience two years ago makes me want to run and hide. I dislike crowds as much as I dislike the Oregon Ducks so being in what was the Lewiston Walmart (because they don't have a Target) at 4am with every interesting resident of Lewiston/Clarkston was torture. Great people watching but sooo awful.

This year was Cruz's first experience with the Salzwedel/Sok Thanksgiving I have gotten to enjoy for a few years now and he loved it!

Not that I am surprised...this boy loves to eat!

He played with his cousins...



...and ate to his heart's content.


His favorite: Cathy's orange cream cookie dessert.

He even learned to drink from a straw! This kid was in heaven!





Ahh look at that darling face!

The highlight of the weekend among visiting with family was a promise....

Remember the table I ranted and raved about wanting, no, DYING for?

Well here is it in all of it's 8 feet, custom, exotic wood, crazy beautiful legs BEAUTYYYYYYY!



And IT IS ALL OURS!!!!!!!!!!

Cathy and Dan so amazingly gifted the table to Nick and I! Like we get to pick it up and TAKE IT HOME.

I am still pinching myself.
 It is the table I have been having dining room dreams about. 

There is a stipulation, however....

We are not allowed to paint it. EEKKKKK. I know right - ruins my grand plan to paint that baby white.

So on to plan B.....no white table...but WHO THE EFF CARES! It is so totally worth plan B, I can't even stand it! 

Cathy, just so you know? You just made my birthday, my Christmas, valentines day and Nick and I's 6th wedding anniversary! 

I'd say a highly successful Thanksgiving it was, indeed!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that table...just as it is...but it would be SO beautiful in white!!!!!

    ReplyDelete