Friday, September 9, 2011

GOP debate - round 3 + A little bit of random

Wednesday night we had dinner with some fabulous friends (thanks to Jer and Kel for being so amazing) so we didn't end up watching the debate until 9pm. It was all DVR'd for us - including the MSNBC analysis (more on that later) - all we had to do was put Preshy to bed, pack his bag for the babysitter, take Liam out for the 80th time, grab our strawberry kiwi crystal light and take a seat to let the fist pumping begin.


So initially I was excited. Okay - correction: I am always excited to watch a bunch of conservatives on stage tell us how this administration is failing us left and right and what plans they would put in place if they were President of the United States. Seriously - as I am typing these very letters, I am almost shaking. I really REALLY love every ideal and every value of conservative republicans. I am proud to know that I am in alignment with the founding fathers. The FOUNDING FATHERS. Holy crap. If you can wrap your mind around that....a group of men who, in my opinion, so brilliantly wrote a constitution that promotes small government and a free market society that lets ANYONE be as successful as they want to be. Are you kidding me???? It gives me chills. We do live in the greatest Nation out there. Bottom. Line.

Okay enough of that.

Honestly - the main reason I was excited besides the outrageous paragraph above is the fact that Gov. Rick Perry of Texas would be up on that stage for the first time squaring off against the likes of Mitt Romney and Michelle Bachmann - the front runners of race so far - and if you watched the debate you saw very quickly it is truly a 2 man race (RP and MR) with a little bit of Ron Paul, MB and Newt mixed in.

Just like last time, here is MY analysis of each candidate. Get ready, here. we. go. 
Wait...I need a little Gym Class Heroes to pump me up. Just sec, let me push play.
Okay.

Rick Perry - We saw very quickly it was going to be the Perry/Romney show. They even put the two next to each other in the smack dab middle of the stage. All eyes were on Perry as it was Perry's first time on stage with the rest of them and 2nd or 3rd debate EVER. In my opinion, it showed. He was great on offense but weak on defense. There was a lot of hesitation, an inability to reflect some criticism but BOYYY were there some really interesting, very controversial one liners. Kinda great - again, in MY opinion.

-He called social security a monstrous lie and Ponzi scheme - which it IS if you think about it. Yes, I get it needs to be reformed and I am all in favor but as it stands now our generation is putting money into a benefit we will NEVER receive. That is the definition of a ponzi scheme. Helllooooooo!
-He said science was not settled in responding to Jon Huntsman's claim that some of the candidates were anti-science (specifically when it comes to climate change). I agree.
-The biggest applause of the night was after Brian Williams asked Perry about Texas executing 234 convicted murderers. When asked what he thought of that question receiving overwhelming applause he stated, "I think American's understand justice."

I don't think his lukewarm performance will knock him out of first place but he has got to do better. I have a feeling his team is all over it and next debate, we will see a more prepared, more polished Rick Perry.
PS: He gave MSNBS their biggest debate ratings yet....

Mitt Romney - Polished and well-spoken. Presidential. As always. Uhhhhh I just don't trust him and I have a HUGE problem with Obmaney Care. He did try his best to reflect, but he didn't take the time to tell us how it is different than the huge bust that is Obama Care. I am sorry but the American people have not and will not forget that and it is going to cause him some problems.
After his sparring with Rick Perry -  which seemed like the first hour of the debate - he pulled himself out of the debate and only attacked Obama (clearly showing his confidence that he will be the nominee). His best line was calling the president a nice fella but one who's clueless about economics.

Remember, he is a career politician. He knows how to play the game. I think that is what bothers me most.

Michelle Bachmann - Shoot. She wasn't that strong and she certainly didn't come out with the fire she had in debate 1. Maybe she can't handle a grueling campaign? She came out stating her disapproval with Obama's war in Libya but then when asked if she disagreed with the foreign policy of the Bush administration, she wouldn't give a straight answer.
The only attack she could muster was on the back of Ron Paul's attack of Rick Perry's executive order to force 12 year old girls to get the HPV vaccine.
Her MO of the evening - an inability to shoot straight and answer the tough questions.

Newt Gingrich - 4 things to say about Newt. 1. I love him. 2. I would vote for him. 3. He would TEAR Obama to shreds in a debate. 4. I might be the only person on the history of the planet that feels this way. Other than Nick.
His best line came when he warned the moderators probing for differences among the 8 that any minor distinctions pale in comparison to their unity over defeating Barack Obama. FIST PUMP LOVE.
Can I also say I was obsessed with his mention of immediately firing Fed. Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke if he were elected. Sorry to say Mr. Bernanke, you will be joining the other 14 million unemployed Americans should any of these Republicans be elected.

Ron Paul - Ron Paul. He is so smart. So so smart. He had what most every other candidate lacked - substance. He has the right idea - that government should leave us the heck alone. It was true - while the other candidates got way more air time, not one of them could refute his claims about the economy or civil liberties. I just wish he was more polished. So not electable but fascinating. I maintain my claim that he is the most exciting candidate in the race. I am always watching, waiting on the edge of my seat to see what he will say next.
Ohhhh one more thing- I think it is worth mentioning how aggressive he was with Rick Perry. This is a side of Ron Paul we have not seen. Coming to play Ron Paul? Okay.
Wasn't his idea to save billions of dollars by bringing home air conditioners cooling our troop tents in Afghanistan a little weird? See what I mean by waiting on the edge of my seat? Weird.

Herman Cain - I really appreciate Herman Cain. He also didn't get much time due to the Perry/Romney show but when he did Nick and I would both nod our head in agreement. Due to his extensive business experience and "problem solving" campaign theme he spoke with purpose. In fact, he was the only one to detail out how he would grow out the economy - with the 9-9-9 plan (business tax, individual flat tax, national sales tax all at 9%). Bottom line: he won't be the nominee either due to his lack of political experience.


Rick Santorum - Poor guy - he was placed on the end of the panel and I think he MAYBE got 4 questions. Telling?? I think so. You knew the second the camera's turned off he would complain and that he did to Chris Matthews in a post-debate interview (which was WILD with a capitol W btw). He is a serious social conservative (again, even too much for my social conservative behind) and is losing momentum by the second.

Jon Huntsman - Ewwwwww. Not only is he creepy but he is SOOO in the wrong party. I mean first of all he is barely registering in national polls. On top of that kinda big important detail, he didn't get the speaking time RP and MR got and when he did speak, he spoke of Utah's job creation record, how immigration is a human issue (DUH) and how the GOP is at risk at becoming "anti-science". I think the end might be near Mr. Huntsman. That's all I have to say other than the fact that you are FAR too moderate for the GOP base. 

So after it was all said and done I looked at Nick and said - okay let's just watch the first 15 minutes of the debate analysis (it was 10:45 - 2 hours past our bed time) to see what they have to say. I forgot 'they' was Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews. I am NOT kidding when I say we watched it for 45 seconds before we were yelling at the TV in disgust. Nick may have yelled some obscenities at Chris Matthews may have said something like Turn This Crap Off.
I guess we need to calm down? We clearly need some church.
Looking at the positive, Nick and I are two peas in the same pod. He's SOOO my guy.

There you have it lovelies.

Can't wait for round 4, 5, 6, 7 and the potential addition of Sarah Palin, Rudy Giuliani and who ever else might jump in. At the end of the day, as Newt so fist-pump-worthy said - the entire slate of GOP candidates are a part of "a team" dedicated to removing Obama from office. That is whats most important. 

In other randomness - 
*We should find out about our almost new house TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will report back the second I find out.

Weekend forecast -
*End of the summer bbq at Erin's house, tonight.
*Saturday morning farmers market with the very lovely soon to be Mrs. Kelly Haas Nichols. What What!!!!!
*Fearsome Foursome dinner, Saturday. I cannot even handle it. It has been too long since I have been with the besties. Can't wait for some F4 love. Girls, you better watch out. I have LOTSSSSS to say.
*Church, Sunday @ Valley Real Life. I am in some serious need of some Jesus tank filling.

Because I can't help myself -
*Ohhhh Preshy. I love him. Here is a pic of Mr. America this morning. Taking a break from chewing away on my necklace to give me a huge smile all while his protector, Bianca, sits close by (although she was cropped out of the pic). Thanks Bianca for watching him and making sure he does not fall off the bed while dad brushes his teeth and mom curls her hair.


HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!
xoxox

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks ash! You are my version of MSNBC ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I love you Katie. We have differing opinions but still think the world of each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thank you because without you & your post debate summary, I wouldn't have a CLUE who these people are because even though I care (& I vote!) I don't have the time to research them. I feel up to date and informed thanks to your wealth of knowledge & insight into politics! Oh and I don't trust MR either ;)
    Thanks, Ash! Loved it!!! Looking forward to your future writings :)

    ReplyDelete